Friday, February 8, 2013

I need a vacation . . .

I don't mean to complain, but I seriously need a vacation. This working mom thing is not easy. I basically have 2 full time jobs. My responsibilities as a mom are not reduced just because I'm away from my home for 9 hours a day. I still have to do all the things necessary to keep a house up and running, I just have 9 less hours in the day to do it. Just like anything, I do what I gotta do, but I am exhausted! Plus I have a side business that keeps me busy (check it out here). It's nothing extravagant, but it adds to my list of to dos.

Even though I'm exhausted and can't imagine my life any busier or any more exhausting, I know it will :) So I thought I would write down my what a typical day in my life is like so that years from now I can look back and laugh at how easy I had it.

So here is a typical day in my life . . .

5:30 am . . . rise and shine!
6:30 am . . . Hayden wakes up (luckily I have an AMAZING husband that takes morning shift
                    and gets Hayden fed and ready for the day so I don't have to get up too early)
7:00 am . . . Hayden and I are out the door
7:15 am . . . Drop of Hayden at daycare
7:30 am . . . Get to work and the real craziness begins
work all day
4:15 pm . . . Leave work
4:30 pm . . . Get Hayden from daycare
some days we run errands before heading home
5:00 pm . . . Get home and play a little, then start dinner
5:30ish pm . . . eat dinner
6:00 - 7:00 pm . . . Hayden takes a bath, we play, get ready for bed, spend time as a family
7:00 pm . . . Off to bed Hayden goes!
7:00 - midnight (on average, some nights later, some nights a little earlier) . . . cleaning the
                        house, painting signs, doing laundry, getting things ready for the next day.
midnight . . . my head hits the pillow

I'm not scheduled . . . no! :) I'm incredibly scheduled and so is my child. It was funny the other day our niece watched Hayden for us all day because our babysitter was sick (don't worry she's just home from her mission) and when I got home from work she explained to me that Hayden must know his schedule too because at 11:30 when he eats lunch he walked over to his highchair and said "up" before she could tell him too. And than at 1:00, when he lays down for a nap, he walked over to her and snuggled like he was tired.

Our house functions only because we have a schedule. I hope some day life slows a little bit, or I can stay home so I can be a little more flexible. But right now this is how it is. Again, I'm sure some day I'll look back and think . . . man those were the days . . . life was sooo easy. But right now, it doesn't feel that way. I'm just glad I've made it through another day!

5 comments:

  1. I would have never EVER guessed that you were a scheduled person! :) But, with all you have going on I think it makes your family work better. I have always thought kids do better on a schedule...I am a fan of schedules...with flexibility. :) Hang in there sunshine! One day it won't be so crazy. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i am officially nervous about my future. this sounds so, so exhausting! jj...you are wonder woman!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I got the stroller from Shopko. It doesn't come with the car seat...I am still debating whether or not I should keep it since my car seat doesn't fit as securely as their brand of carseat does.

    Your day does sound like it can be exhausting-there is so much to be done as a working mom. Sometimes I miss that busy-ness(?) I find that I get more done the more scheduled my time is. And I'll say one thing that might be just a little less by working- is there is less destruction happening at your house- it looks like Hayden is at the age where Bekah constantly was emptying out bookshelves and cuboards...just giving you a very small plus of being gone 9 hours a day. :) GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey JJ, I saw you commented on Alissa's blog and came to check if it was you. How fun to read up a little about your family. Life is so busy... I always thought it would slow down when my kids got bigger, but it has mostly just gotten busier, but in a different way. I've been horrible about updating our blog, but maybe this year I'll be better :) We have 5 kids (4 girls one boy), our oldest will be getting baptized this summer.
    Anyway. I hope you're doing well. - Jen (Smith) Pratt:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. JJ, I'm just sitting down and browsing blogs which I never get a chance to do. You are an INCREDIBLE working mother and that schedule is exhausting just to read. You are amazing and a great example! And that little boy is sweet as can be.

    ReplyDelete